Study of Advertisement Translation from the Perspective of Eco-translatology
1. Problem Statement:
As the world is undergoing the trend of globalization and witnessing the implementation of the Belt and Road Initiative, all kinds of markets are becoming increasingly competitive. Accordingly, domestic and overseas markets are closely in contact with customers around the world. Therefore, advertisement translation is a key to justify whether advertisements play anticipated roles. Based on Eco-translatology and taking some typical advertisements translation at home and abroad as examples, this essay studies the relation of advertisement translation and target language environment.
2. Significance of the Study:
In Eco-translatology, the theory of translation as adaptation and selection defines translation as a kind of selective activity. And during the process, translators try to make the translation adapt to the eco-environment. The Eco-translatology can provide multiple perspectives for the translation of advertisements. This paper studies the importance of the target language environment and how to make use of the multi-dimensional conversion to make translation better adapt to the target language environment. When analyzing and having an intimate knowledge of Eco-translatology, it is easy to see how to understand and cope with the differences between Chinese and English, how to replace some Chinese images with English ones, so that stimulate the desire of consumers to buy and fit the expected requirements of advertisements.
3. Literature Review:
Since its publication, “Translation as Adaptation and Selection”(胡庚申, 2004) has attracted the attention of scholars in the world. Liu Yunhong and Xu Jun calls the book as “a new translation study with exploration spirit” (劉云紅，許均，2004). In recent years, the worldwide studies on translation adaptation and selection have become more and more rational and mature, giving birth to the formation of ecological translation (蔡新樂, 2006). Yang Furong(2017) has also described that in advertisement translation, only by integrating the translation from three dimensions, can the translator give full play to his/her subjective initiative to meet the expectations of manufacturers and attract more consumers. Ge Qiongqiong and Xu Hongmin (2017) have creatively explored many advertisement slogans that are good at using pun rhetoric, giving them rich connotations, artfully attracting the attention of customers and giving them consistent praise. Similarly, Wang Minfei(2015) has skillfully pointed out that the imitation of well-known classic sentences may be a shortcut for advertisement translation, and the imitation of advertisement language is translated to meet their own needs and set up a good product imagination of advertisement translation. Lu Yanan (2018) and Han Xu(2017) has accurately stated that in order to achieve the expected publicity purpose of the target text, the translator has to use the language expression in line with the cultural concept of the target language. That is to say, they study advertisement translation from the microcosmic perspective. However, Eco-translatology studies advertisement translation from the macroscopic perspective. This paper, based on Eco-translatology and taking typical advertisements translation at home and abroad as examples, studies the relation of advertisement translation and target language environment, and comes up with the importance of multi-dimensional conversion in advertisement translation eco-environment.
4. Partial Bibliography:
(1) 胡庚申. 生態翻譯學: 建構與詮釋[M]. 北京: 商務印書館, 2013. 510.
(2) 胡庚申. 翻譯適應選擇論[M]. 湖北: 湖北教育出版社, 2004. 242.
(3) 蔡 新 樂.《翻譯適應選擇論》簡評[J]. 中 國 科 技 翻 譯，2006(1): 58-59.
(4)劉云虹，許 鈞. 一部具有探索精神的譯學新著——《翻譯適應選 擇論》評析[J]. 中國翻譯，2004(6): 40-43.
5. Design of the Study:
(1) Chapter 1, the introduction part, will be initiated by introducing the background, research problems, and significance of the study of advertisement translation based on Eco-translatology.;
(2) Chapter 2 is applied to generalize the definition of advertising and introduce the characteristics of advertisement: intentionality, publicity and inductivity, coupled with analyzing the influence of Chinese and English differences on advertisement translation, which lays a stable foundation on analysis of advertisement translation in Eco-translatology.;
(3) Chapter 3 is functioned to explain the origin, core and application of Eco-translatology;
(4) Chapter 4 will put forward to the importance of the target language environment and how to make use of the three-dimensional transformation to make translation better adapt to the target language environment.
(5) The concluding chapter generalizes that Eco-translatology can provide multiple perspectives for advertisement translation. Translators should adapt to the translation eco-environment, observe and understand it, and make qualified translation.